Kathy Lofton

Kathy Lofton
K-Lo

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Quest for Servant Leadership: Now One Step Closer

Stephen Covey, in his Foreword to Insights on Leadership, emphasized the competitive importance of servant leadership as it relates to the empowerment of employees. He said:

"The deepest part of human nature is that which urges people—each one of us—to rise above our present circumstances and to transcend our nature. If you can appeal to it, you tap into a whole new source of human motivation. Perhaps that is why I have found Robert Greenleaf’s teaching on Servant Leadership to be so enormously inspiring, so uplifting, so ennobling."

"A great movement is taking place throughout the world today. Its roots, I believe, are to be found in two powerful forces. One is the dramatic globalization of markets and technology. And in a very pragmatic way, this tidal wave of change is fueling the impact of the second force: timeless, universal principles that have governed, and always will govern, all enduring success, especially those principles that give ‘air’ and ‘life’ and creative power to the human spirit that produces value in markets, organizations, families, and, most significantly, individual’s lives."

"One of these fundamental, timeless principles is the idea of Servant Leadership, and I am convinced that it will continue to dramatically increase in its relevance….You’ve got to produce more for less, and with greater speed than you’ve ever done before. The only way you can do that in a sustained way is through the empowerment of people. And the only way you get empowerment is through high-trust cultures and through the empowerment philosophy that turns bosses into servants and coaches…"

"Leaders are learning that this kind of empowerment, which is what Servant Leadership represents, is one of the key principles that, based on practice, not talk, will be the deciding point between an organization's enduring success or its eventual extinction."

I've always seen myself as one of those highly effective people to which Covey refers in his "Seven Habits" book. During B-school and particularly during my MPA (Public Administration) fellowship, we always discussed the concept of servant leadership. I vascillate often as to whether I am a leader or a follower. Not out of indecisiveness, but because I simply get more pleasure out of getting my hands dirty as opposed to delegating or managing. That may sometimes cause others to think I lack confidence as a leader when it just means I'd rather be in the trenches. Do not mistake-- I can lead and I definitely have influence and achieve results when tasked.  However, it's nothing like serving your followers. That's where I find intrinsic reward. That path usually earns you a whole lot more cooperation and respect too! Hey, isn't that how Jesus rolled-- serving even though He was the leader?

Amid my quest to give back to the community, another iron I'd put in the fire became ready to use. Today, I came one step closer to serving the needs of others more than last year. I came home to a great email; I'd been nominated by Shelby County Mayor Mark Luttrell to serve on the Head Start Policy Advisory Committee. Yeah! While it's not a high-profile public office or anything, I am very excited about this. It is an especially big deal because I deliberately pursued this opportunity. Talk about timing being everything: I heard he was looking for Leadership Memphis grads to consider and happen to run into the mayor at a reception. Being Kathy, I approached and stopped him, then gave my elevator speech. He and his assistant listened. That got the ball rolling. Y'all know I am bold and a serious networker, so what else was I to do when I saw the man? LOL!

It had been several months since I submitted my information and I hadn't heard back from his office, so I figured I was not selected THIS time. So, I was really surprised this evening by the news. I have always liked Luttrell, from the time he was sheriff. He has always come across as a nice man and one that sincerely enjoys serving the public. I see him often at public functions, and he is consistently amicable and attentive.

I remember him most from 2006, when he attended a race relations forum at Rhodes College for a Hands on Memphis produced event. I served as a panelist and steering committee member for it. It was in observance of the Dr. MLK Day of Service. The way he walked in--- not drawing attention, quietly sitting-- and then intently listening has always been burned in my memory. I can't explain it, but the look on his face coupled with the way he interacted with the audience afterward was impressive; it was authentic. I made it a point to go and speak to him after the event. Of course he doesn't remember me from that time with everyone he knows and all he does, but I am glad he saw something on my resume along with the list of my involvement around Memphis that prompted him to grant me a chance to serve. 

I am very passionate about youth, particularly inner-city and the under-served. Secondly, I have an affinity for Black children acquiring life skills and preparing academically. I was fortunate to have attended a private kindergarten that taught me well on so many levels, so I was more than prepared for the first grade. I am appreciative of that experience, and look back and thank the Mrs. Farwell and Mrs. Pearson for doing such an excellent job with us. I'm not saying I'm justified, but because of that experience I don't easily understand when so many children don't have a clue by the time they are age 5 or 6. They can't read or say the alphabet in some cases. They can't count to 25 or 50. Let me clarify, there are many who can, but in my opinion MORE who can't. The latter are who I have to help--- WE have to help. It is a shame.....the state of affairs with some of these inner city children. Some situations are unavoidable and the parents try. Some are just down right trifling.

I get so P-Od when the sorry parents are doing everything BUT investing in their child's development and academics. It is NOT the teacher's job to do it ALL. Even if I went along with that poor argument, what are you [lazy, disengaged parents] doing prior to them meeting the teacher? Again, I am referring to those who just don't try or give a darn about the kids, and think the school has a magic cure all to overcome their lack training at home. Take some responsibility for your child. Will ya? So many of "my" kids miss the boat and are far behind other groups. I can say this because I was a substitute teacher for almost 2 years. I learned a lot from that. I am fed up with the excuses and failure rates. This is my chance to voice concern and hopefully implement solutions.

So, I am going to take a shot at serving the kids about which I complain. I will get to see up close and personal the dynamics that affect Head Start Policy. Hopefully I will contribute toward change while simultaneously getting schooled, no pun intended, on the things I am missing at is relates to the program participants. With the issue of consolidation of the Memphis and Shelby County School systems, this couldn't be a better time for me to get involved! This is going to be exciting, but I'm sure it's hard work too.

Stay tuned folks. I have to submit some formal paperwork and attend a meeting in March to be confirmed. I pray all goes well with this. God continues to use me with my passions and talents to help, to bless, to SERVE.

To whom much is given, much is required. So, I GOTTA keep on doing this stuff. Remember the parable in the Bible on the five talents????

No comments:

Post a Comment